Sunday, March 9, 2014

Rice and Beans Day 1...

Usually I wake up and the first thing I do is make coffee and plan our Sunday dinner for after church. Today was going to be a little bit different. Okay a mountain size different. This week, my daughter and I are eating wild rice and beans. Yep, rice and beans. I might be a little bit crazy in thinking a 15 year old is up for this spiritual challenge. When we headed out to the grocery store yesterday it was her that reminded me that we had not gone ahead with our week of experiencing food the way deprived and depressed countries eat each day. You see, a few weeks ago I was at church and we had a special presentation on a mission trip to Africa. this hit me hard. My eyes welled up with tears as my heart screamed for the children and adults in slave stricken areas. To not have wells for water, to walk 3 days to do trades and then walk 3 days back to their villages. The lack of everything we do as normal routine does not exist for them. But yet their hearts are full. Their days are content. Their ears are open to hearing the Lords word.
On a typical day here in the North woods even with little amounts we have more. I am able to do the laundry in hot water and with soap. I don't even think twice before getting up and finding some sort of snack or drink. I curl up on a couch with a blanket for warmth. My daughter listens to music and uses a lap top. The lap top I am typing on right now. We laugh at a television show and talk about what we think are needs but are they? Are our needs really needs?
We have a roof over our heads that does not leak. Running water for washing, cooking, and bathing.
My daughter has clothes for school and notebooks for assignments. Lets pause for a minute here. She has a place called a school for learning. 
In my possession I have several devotionals. bibles, journals, pens, art supplies and most importantly I have doctors and nurses that care for my medical needs. These are all things we see as normal day things we use or not use and somethings we don't even think about as possessions.
On average you can not go 5 miles without spotting at least 3 coffee houses, a Mcdonalds, Menards, Walmart, or the corner gas stations. But how often have I thought this is not everyone's normal?
Tonight as we were in our kitchen prepping our meal of rice and black beans we were silent. As the rice was boiling I washed up a few dishes and stopped as my eyes caught the bubbles in the sink. I took a moment to just be. I turned and saw my daughter at peace and happy with our decision to go forth with our meals for the week.
The rice and beans tasted actually good and I thought I can do this. We can do this. THEN.... I felt like I need more. I sat with an empty plate on my lap and left it there for about 20 minutes. I just sat. I looked over to see my daughter doing well. Until she asked. Mom, can I still have my yogurt and fruit in the morning. As I watched her face I said yes. Did I cave? Maybe. Or maybe I saw a chance to teach a child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment