Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Trash Decorating....

I was driving around last summer on a mission to find a chair. Not just any chair but a chair that spoke to me. I am on a mission to create a beach themed living space with little or no money. I just about gave up when I spotted a garage sale sign outside of what looked like an old auto body shop. Once parked and inside it was easy to see that the retired mechanic was selling hand made bird houses. In the corner of my eye I spotted this old torn up chair with just the right lines to it. I had to have it. It looked as if it should be in a dumpster but I saw the shape of it and well I knew my search was over! I found my chair for a whopping $5.00! Now it sits in my space waiting to go to the lady who will be reupholstering it back to the beauty it once was.



A few weeks later I was at my moms lake home. She is getting it ready for sale and the cleaning out of the garage had begun. I noticed an old armory ammo crate in the burn pile. Of course my brain decided that it just could not be burned and had more life in it. I asked if I could take it and with it loaded into the car the next find was found. After cleaning it up with wood oil I added hairpin legs to it and BAM a television stand was born. Cost of legs $48.00 cost of crate $0.00



Our little home is an apartment above a coffee shop. Small but serves us well. The carpet is beyond repair and the walls were never fixed. I decided that since it was not mine I wouldn't put the cost into repairs but instead decided to paint the doors a grey color. Cost of paint at Walmart was $19.00. I really have enjoyed the outcome of the doors being darker and the walls being white.

Rug is from West Elm $ the couch is from Ashley furniture. Clearance sales. Rug down to $49.00 Couch down to $499.00

What is still on the agenda of trash decorating??? Two vintage pepsi crates being turned into a coffee table. Mason Jar lamps. Putting in my ballet bar on back wall.  If I find just the right door I will turn it into a wall mirror!!!! Stay tuned in as the projects become a reality!


2 comments:

  1. I love your space Laura! I am always finding treasures to restore for my home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driftingfeathers! I loved the chest you did!

    ReplyDelete