Thursday, March 27, 2014

The mailbox dance.....

 Waking up for me means staring the coffee and thinking of all the things that are needing to get done. As I smell that delicious coffee I start to get my mug ready. Oh you know that little amount of sugar with cream! That first sip of the day is always the best. Day after day it never gets old. I grab my mug and laptop and curl up to start the day. I enter in the tracking numbers and realize that package is arriving today! I get giddy almost. 

As the morning draws to a close and the afternoon sky sets in I know the mailbox will be full of goodies. If your like me the package is just one step in this elation. Oh I love digging into a personalized package. The tissue paper. The business cards. The hand written note. Each package I get I go through this dance of anticipation. Each small shop I know wraps with care and creativity. But there are some packages that deflate me and its more like I lost at the gift wrapping lottery! Today I sit with a brown box package label starring at me and I begin to open. As I get closer to the inside I either fall from my mailbox dance or  my dance begins. 
I carefully unwrap the tissue and feel my heart become happy. Happy because someone took the time to personalize my box. For some reason I always set the purchases aside and look at the card first. A simple note of thanks. A thank you that goes deeper than the stationery it is written on. I know these little gestures mean so much more from the sender. You see like me, my shop runs as a business that pays the bills. It is simply not a hobby. It pays for little treats for my daughter. it pays for the utilities. At times it pays for the additional needs a teenager needs. Holding that personalized thank you means so much more. I glance over and see the pastel ribbon and start to pull and reveal handmade tags describing each item. My heart becomes happy. 

As I was putting together the new design and packaging as Blue Birds Shop gets ready to introduce Earth Halo a new organic line for woman I had the packaging on my mind. I actually spent more time and asking other small business owners for advise. Did I go with big box shops for my supplies? Did I go with big box advertising or marketing needs? I bet you all already know that answer! I turned to the support of fellow small shop and artists that have come to be more like cyber family.

Lori Brath Dunbar started the packaging with handmade gift tags! Not only is she the owner of Fresh Snapped Photos but also the Owner/Creator of Marzipan check her out! She is a talent to be reckoned with and she is witty to boot http://www.marzipaninc.com/aboutus.php Her tags have the minimalist lines and simple mid century design I am crazy for. Her very own packaging is also creative. Little tins hold the tags! 


 Love the tins! I think I will be recycling them for buttons!

Next up was reworking the branding that will go with both sides of Blue Birds Shop. I met this fantastic gal on Instagram and immediately knew she was the one to work with. Her name is Kayla with Studio Illustrated. Kayla's creativity and and ability to handle my crazy off the wall emails assured me we were a good match.
Now I am not computer savvy when it comes to fonts, sizing, design...... But man she is! Take a look at her concept I chose. Oh and did I mention she keeps you in the loop and sends proofs upon proofs until you both feel it is just right?


And above is just one final. It will be the business cards. My logo and watermark are at the top of the blog and yes I kinda stretched them out to fit the blog but I said I am not good with the whole pixel gadgets and gizmos!!!! Geez I think I need to seriously stick to the fibers! As you can see she took Lori's tags and matched them to her designs to make a smooth complete branding design. Between these two creative people and my no boundries on asking many questions I now have complete branding and my own unique packaging to be sent out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment