Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The question answered...

I am often asked a simple question that leads to a fulfilled answer. I am answering that question in print as I find my heart full and overflowing.

Why do you volunteer? Why do you care so little for your own profit but rather give back?
A hard question with an easy answer.



As a child I saw pain in every doorway. I witnessed as a child would view fear, loneliness, sadness. I have very few childhood memories. The ones I have are even tough for many adults. One memory I have is being locked in a basement. Was this on purpose? Was this an accident? That answer is unknown. But the truth is I see myself as a little girl hiding behind the washer and dryer in a dark basement. That is all I see. Why do I give back? Why do I care so little about things?
Another image from my childhood is an Easter Sunday. Playing in my grandma's backyard with a wind up stuffed bunny. I was swinging on the swing and grasping my bunny by the ears. This image could be joyful. But in my eyes what I see; is fear and loneliness and wanting to just disappear. I was 4 years old. As an adult viewing this image in my minds eye I see a little girl scared.
As I grew I knew my daily life was not full. Was not normal. Was based solely on surviving. At the age of 12 I wanted joy. I wanted peace. I have no answer for what I did. I have only the vision of what I was about to do. I walked to church. I didn't understand at the age of 12 what I was doing. But as an adult I know I walked into my home where I was loved and cared for. As I grew within His home I started asking to be taken to church. Whether or not I was joined with a family member or simply dropped off I knew I needed to go.
Oh yes! I left the church and his Word several times in my life. As I look back at those time I see destruction in my life. A time of struggle and pain. It took strength each time to go back. Each time I learned He never left me. Oh how He loves me even though I fail!
Why do I give back? Why do I volunteer? Not for my own self reward. But for the reward each human life gives me! Each human life has a story. Each human life has WORTH. No matter the age. No matter the situation we all have WORTH. Whether struggling because your spouse is over seas. Whether your home is the streets. Whether you are finding strength to leave an abusive situation. WE are all children Of God deserving of His kindness and love. His love in my heart naturally wants to open my gifts and talents that He gave me and give to you freely. How do we serve? Do you open a door for an elderly person? Do you help someone load their groceries into their car? Do you work? Do you help a child with homework? Do you provide food for your family? All these natural abilities are the Holy Spirit working within you.

You could be selfish and say I want a new phone so you go without. Many people do. You could say I deserve this new shiny gadget so your child or relative goes without. Many people do. You could say I earn xxxxx this amount I pay my bills and so the remainder  is mine to do as I please. Many people do. But if you open that door. If you help a neighbor. If you take that 10 minutes to check in with your child. That is the Holy Spirit working within you. Naturally you may think I have no clue as what this blogger is saying. Take a moment and see your environment and step back and see what you are already doing. You are naturally doing Gods work. You are naturally giving back.



I serve others not for me. I serve and use the talents showered upon me from our Father naturally filling my heart with His joy. As I serve He is filling my heart with a love so pure I am left in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment