Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What's on the needles???

I have been asked the why and what's recently on the fiber I use and wanted to take some time to answer these questions with care. One talent God has given me as a gift is my love for research! If you ask me why is milk white I will dive into it with passion and find an answer for you. Ask me why I value organic, sustainable, and renewable resources I can spout off several points right off the top of my head but when it comes to fibers I wanted to get the answers after patiently asking myself the why as how a new mom would want it answered.
So lets dig into the world as new baby and see the world as they see it.
Tender littlest loves can not talk to us on what hurts, irritates, burns, itches, or even let us know what is an allergic reaction. Each new life is unique. Maybe born into this world early, on time, with weak immune systems, and even may have sensitive senses.
As a new mom we become BIG OLD TOUGH BEARS. We will protect our little cubs with a feverish passion.
What we have as moms is a built in radar to hear the slight difference in cries. We even can tell what different coos mean. The other side of being a mom is that we are built with tough layers of skin of knowing our wee little cubs need to just be sometimes to learn and grow their individual selves.
But that doesn't mean we can see the invisible. As a mom I took care in knowing what laundry detergent I was using. What plastic storage containers I purchased. I was kind of seen as nutty at times because my thought was this. If I would not taste it, wear it, buy it, bath in it, wash in it; then why would I have a speechless little love use it. Pesticides are everywhere. Chemicals lurk and hide in our homes and will multiply if we let them. Manufacturers use this little thing called sizing when they make garments. But the affect of this "sizing" is huge! Manufacturers use chemicals to enhance color, brightness, fabric quality, and these shortcuts that save them huge dollars ends up costing us in the end. How many of you need lotion? How many of you need soothing bathes to relax your irritated skin? How many of you get an upset queasy feeling after you eat something? Did you know that could be the dye coloring used that can create such a hostile environment in us.
With so much to learn and understand as new parents I wanted to make and use the best of the best in safety and in the environment that won't cause irritants to sneak in the way!

Fiber #1 100% extra fine merino wool. DUE TO RECENT LAWSUITS I will NO LONGER be using a blended cashmere merino. The company I was using was not staying within humane practices. Merino wool is biodegradable, renewable, natural, and oh so soft. Cashmere is actually from a type of goat. Also being renewable, biodegradable, and natural. But just because those things are great in themselves; they can also be used or the animal itself in the farming and raising in be cruel. I can assure you that the fiber I purchase for these two are not from Australia. Australia still uses the practice of cutting the fiber off the animal. AND with a BANG I am proud to say after long hours and tired eyes I have found a company that believes in my same idea that fiber should be beautiful, and harmless to the environment and animals.The sheep are roaming in Montana and Wyoming being loved on by people who care for the earth. Yep, a USA based wool!!! Taking this one step further they use mills in the USA to manufacture the wool into yarn! This also cuts down on the carbon footprint. I am using this image to show you how similar the yarns are and that I am striving to stay within the same family of colors.
old yarn 

new 100% merino wool farmed in US Milled in the US

Fiber #2 Organic Cotton. Organic cotton is also a renewable resource. What makes it organic? this paragraph is from http://www.ota.com/organic/mt/organic_cotton.html a organic trade association, "Organic cotton is grown using methods and materials that have a low impact on the environment. Organic production systems replenish and maintain soil fertility, reduce the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers, and build biologically diverse agriculture. Third-party certification organizations verify that organic producers use only methods and materials allowed in organic production. Organic cotton is grown without the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. In addition, federal regulations prohibit the use of genetically engineered seed for organic farming. All cotton sold as organic in the United States must meet strict federal regulations covering how the cotton is grown."
I really couldn't have said it better! The feel of cotton with a light loft is simply amazing.

Organic Cotton

Yummy!

a tiny little reason to use organic, renewable, and sustainable fibers are in NICUS across the world. I hope this blog post was helpful in answering the recent questions. If not, please email me for a more detailed response!


A sweet little love in a NICU Hospitial

No comments:

Post a Comment